Saturday, October 10, 2015

Sunny Revisits Children's Books (NEW TAG!)


This semester I'm taking a course in tween literature, and one of the books we had to read was The Bad Beginning from A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket. I remember getting books 1-10 in that series from the Scholastic book order at school and then trying to balance them all while walking home. Best. Day. Ever. Anyways, reading that book again brought me back to my childhood of reading.

I really believe that reading as a child was foundational to the person I am today. By investing so much time into reading as a child (and my parents encouraging it), I learned practical things such as vocabulary and sentence structure, but beyond that, I absorbed emotional skills. When you read fiction you are exposed to hundreds of different characters all going through different circumstances, and as a child this taught me how to extend my empathy towards other people. I believe that reading as a child made me more aware of other people and was the beginnings of how I learned to look outside of myself.  

Since I believe that the books I read shaped me, I was curious to see what other people read and what books shaped them. Then I saw a video posted by Karen Kavett about books from the early thousands that she read and thought I should make a tag! This isn't exactly a regular tag with a bunch of questions; it only has one question:

What books did you read as a child?

Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys. I've read so many of these books, both the modern ones and the classics (not pictured). They're probably what got me into mysteries as a child. I think the obsession start with ND, but once I met the Hardy Boys (*swoon*), it was wonderful goodness. My favourites are the ones where they team up and solve a "super mystery". 

The Fudge Series by Judy Blume. I remember my teacher reading Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing out loud to my class in grade school then everybody fighting over who'd get to borrow the second book from the library. I think my mother might have read one of these books out loud to me to when I was a kid. Anyways, they're so funny, and I always recommend them when parents are asking about books for their kids.
 These are two books that I read as an older child. The first is Airborn by Kenneth Oppel and the second is Among the Enemy by Margaret Peterson Haddix which is part of the Shadow Children series. These are both adventure books and both had a bit of romance in them and was where I started to enjoy romantic subplots. I reread Airborn recently and it stood up to a reread as an adult. As for the Shadow Children books, I can barely remember them.
 A Series of Unfortunate Events are the books that inspired this post! These books were oddly appealing, because when I reread the first one recently I realized just how depressing they actually are. I remember loving that you never knew what was going to happen. This is probably the first series that I remember anxiously awaiting for the last few books to be published. Now that feeling is quite familiar, haha. 
Madison Finn books by Laura Dower and Abby Hayes books by Anne Mazer are the chicklit-y books that I read as a young girl. They were the popular books among all the girls. Now that I'm thinking about it, they have remarkably similar premises. I think these books were enjoyable because they were relate-able. Both of these protags went through conflicts that I went through.
 These two books represent two genres I really liked: horse books (is that really a genre?) and historical fiction. The first book, Olympic Dreams by Lauraine Snelling, is actually a discard from my church library (*GASP*) and the plot is basically what I wanted my life to be like (read: I wanted a horse). The second book, North by Night by Katherine Ayres, is about a stop on the Underground Railroad. I think I might have stolen this book from my elementary school (*DOUBLE GASP*) because I loved it so much. I've read it a few times, but it's been awhile so I can't vouch for it's quality. What I loved about historical books is that they tell stories about serious issues (e.g. slavery, war, etc.) that sometimes we feel we need to "protect" children from.

Ramona the Pest by Beverly Clearly is in the same vain as the Fudge books by Judy Blume. I think a teacher read this aloud to me as well (and maybe my mom did too?). They're about a young girl who gets into trouble and I get to laugh about it. I liked these because I could relate to being called a pest, haha.

Peter and the Shadow Theives by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson was definitely on the tale end of my childhood. There was something magical and wonderful about reading more about Peter Pan. I remember being so excited when I found this book in the bargain bin at Chapters because it was the one I needed to read. I (obviously) managed to convince my mom to buy it for me.

Secrets by Christine Harris. I remember very little about this spy book, but I chose to talk about it because it represents the spy genre that I loved (Alex Rider anyone?). I remember being so scared later in the series that I had to stop reading it. What can I say, I'm a bit of wimp.
This is by no means an extensive list, in fact I just realized that I FORGOT TO INCLUDE MAGIC TREE HOUSE!! Only the books that taught me how to read chapter books. Ah well. I tried to pick a selection of books that represented the genres I read and some of my favourites. This was such a fun tag to create! 

You guys know how tags work, but as a refresher: Copy the graphic if you'd like (or make your own),  answer the question, link back to this post, and tag other people! To get this tag moving out into the blog-o-sphere I TAG EVERYBODY!!! Please leave me a comment or tweet me if you decided to do it! I would be so honored!

Since I know that vague calls to action don't always work, I'd like to offer up a few specific tags: Rachel from Secret Scribblings, Emily from Emily Etc. Kat from Word Spillers and Victoria from Stori Tori's Blog

P.S. I'm not sure if something similar is already in existence, but I haven't seen it around. Let me know if you know of a similar tag.

10 comments:

  1. Aw, what a great tag idea. I really can't wait to go back and take a look at my old favorites. Man, Abby Hayes and Nancy Drew, those were my girls!

    By the way, horse books are most definitely their own genre. I read so many horse books until I couldn't handle the jealousy welling up in my soul : (

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm glad that you validate my horse book genre ideas, haha. Your horse ambitions sound very much like my own.

      Hope you get a chance to do the tag!

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for tagging me! We've read a lot of books in common! The Shadow Children series helped get me into sci fi! :D

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome! It's so neat to hear that someone else has read the same books as a kid:)

      The Shadow Children series definitely was one of my first introductions to sci-fi too, now that you mention it.

      Delete
  3. Oh I am SO doing this!! YAY FOR TAGS. And yay for childhood books! :') I would definitely not be the person I was today without books...I didn't have friends as a kid, I HAD BOOKS, and so they were like my ultimate BFFs and where I went for adventures and excitement and just everything. I loved Lemony Snicket!! I read them when I was about 14, but pfft, they were still AMAZING and I love his new series too. heh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad you want to do it:)

      Books are so great. They really are the best of friends. Especially Lemony Snicket, they're so great. I haven't tried his new series, but I definitely should.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for tagging! I've not read many of the books you mentioned, but I LOVED the Superfudge series (my sister and I quote it to one other to this day!) and the Beverly Clearly books were golden.

    I'm wildly into rereading children's books -- I'm currently revisiting the Roman Mysteries series by Caroline Lawrence -- and I will love to craft my own post! Thanks for creating and for tagging me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome! I'm anxious to see your version of the post:)

      I never read the Roman Mysteries, but I can definitely agree with you on the Superfudge series being AMAZING!

      Delete
  5. :O ASOUE WAS LIFE. ALSO DEATH. BUT SOME LIFE! I can remember really loving North by Night and Stealing South, and now that you mention it I think I'm going to put both those books on hold RIGHT NOW cuz I'm a read them. *it shall be so* Thanks for the memories, Sunny! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ASOUE was so great!

      I just googled Stealing South and realized that I also read that one! I definitely went through a Underground Railway phase in my reading as a child, haha.

      Glad you enjoyed! Happy (re)reading!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...